This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
If you’re looking for a high-quality shower bench for your bathroom, then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve collected all of the finest benches together in one place to help you find the perfect product for you.
Read on to find out more about shower chairs, why you should think about getting one, and what to look for when choosing the best option for you.
If you’re just here to find the very best product available, then you should take a look at the fantastic AlaTeak shower bench. You’ll struggle to find another shower bench that is built to the same high standards with as many great features.
If You’re in a Hurry – My Tops Picks at a Glance
What’s so Good about Shower Benches?
Before we get on to looking at some products, we should explain exactly what a shower bench is and why they are so great.
There are two main types of shower bench – bathroom benches and shower seats. Bathroom benches are generally placed outside the shower, whereas a shower seat goes inside the shower to provide assistance and support for anyone who needs it.
In this article, we’ll share both types with you so that you understand exactly what’s available. If you choose to buy a shower chair from our list, you can be sure it will be of high quality.
Aside from providing assistance for those with limited mobility, shower chairs also serve a number of other purposes. For example, shower bench designs typically have shelves built-in, which can be used to store bathroom products or cosmetics.
If you find yourself needing a place to sit down whilst working through your morning routine, then a shower bench could be exactly what you’re looking for. They can also act as places to kick back and relax after a bath or shower.
The 9 Best Shower Benches for your Bathroom
1) Best Overall - AlaTeak Shower Bench
- 23.5 x 11.5 x 16 Sustainably Harvested 100% Solid Teak Wood...
- Recommended for use for up to 325 pounds. Indoor or Outdoor...
- 100% Solid Teak - Superior Design
We had no hesitation in giving our Best Overall rating to this excellent shower bench from AlaTeak. If you’re looking for a high-quality bench that offers a good amount of storage space, then you might not have to look any further than this product.
The bench is made from 100% sustainably harvested teak wood. Teak wood is known to be one of the very best materials for shower chairs, thanks to its hardness, durability, and low water absorption. If you buy a shower bench that is made out of teak, you can be sure that it will last you for a long time.
This AlaTeak bench provides storage space in the form of a large shelf underneath the seat. There is plenty of space here to store cosmetics, bathroom products, or anything else that clutters your room. The seat is recommended for use up to 325 pounds, giving you plenty of weight to work with.
- High-quality teak wood – Sustainably harvested teak wood provides plenty of durability without water absorption.
- Storage space – Large shelf underneath the seat is very useful.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use – Water-resistant seal means this seat can be used anywhere.
- Sells out often – A very popular product that can be hard to find in stock
- Not best for in-shower use – Despite being naturally water-resistant, it’s best to avoid putting this product directly in the shower.
- MEGA Holiday Sale!! - Sustainably Harvested 100% Solid Teak...
- All Stainless Steel Non-Corroding Hardware & Adjustable...
- Superior Design -- AquaTeak Has Been Featured in...
If you’re keen to pick up a shower bench but have limited space in your bathroom, then don’t fear! The AquaTeak Corner Teak Shower Bench is definitely the product for you. With its unique space-saving design, this shower bench was easily the Best Space Optimization option on our list.
The product can be tucked right into any corner of the bathroom, offering all the benefits of a great shower bench without taking up any extra space. A corner bench is a great place to dry off, shave, or relax after a hot shower.
Despite its small frame, the AquaTeak 15.5″ still manages to offer plenty of storage space via a shelf below the seat. Overall, the AquaTeak Corner Teak Shower Bench is an excellent product that has been designed with every type of bathroom in mind.
- Extremely compact – Can easily fit into any sized bathroom.
- Sustainable teak wood – Made of high-quality teak wood that has been sustainably harvested.
- Attractive design – Corner design adds an attractive look to your bathroom.
- Only big enough for one – Even though the compactness is a pro, there’s only enough space for one person at a time.
- Tricky to level – The bench comes with adjustable non-slip feet, but they can be fiddly to level.
- 400 Lb Capacity: Sturdy construction supports weight up to...
- Solid Teak Wood: Grade A Burmese teak wood - Stronger and...
- Clear Coated: The beautifully finished solid teak wood is...
Another popular type of shower bench is a wall-mounted design. The Clevr Store bench is one of the best examples of this and is our favorite product in the category.
This teak shower bench is coated with a waterproof layer, meaning it can be used directly under the shower. As a result, it’s a great product for anyone who needs to be seated whilst using the shower. It has a high-quality folding mechanism that works smoothly and is easy to use.
You can also use this bench outside of the shower too. It’s a great option if you want a shower bench but also need to save space in your bathroom – when you’re done with it, it folds away flush against the wall.
- Can be used in the shower – Extra waterproof coating makes the bench safe for in-shower use.
- Folding design – Fold-up design takes up minimal bathroom space.
- High-quality mechanism – Easy to use folding mechanism feels like it could last a lifetime.
- No storage space – Folding design means there are no built-in shelves.
- Requires installation – Unlike other teak wood benches, this product requires installation into a bathroom wall.
4) Best Design - Decoteak Oasis
- FULLY ASSEMBLED- SIMPLY TAKE OUT OF THE BOX
- PERFECT HEIGHT FOR SHAVING FOOT REST- 18" High
- COMPACT DESIGN- Fits snugly in corner of shower or bathroom
The Oasis from Decoteak is one of the best shower chairs around when it comes to overall design. In fact, we awarded this product our Best Design award thanks to its easy-to-use nature and attractive looks.
The shower seat is constructed from beautiful, dark teak wood and looks fantastic when placed in any bathroom. It’s another corner design, meaning it can slot into the smallest spaces in your bathroom without cluttering the area.
The Decoteak Oasis features a useful storage shelf, which also doubles as a convenient footrest. It’s this well-thought-out design that led us to include this shower bench on the list.
- Fantastic design – Unique footrest/shelf design is a great idea.
- Looks great – High-quality teak wood has a lovely dark finish.
- Comes fully assembled – No need to spend hours putting this teak shower seat together.
- Small seat – Like all corner benches, there isn’t much seating space.
5) Best Design - Ez2care Shower Bench
- Anti-slip seat surface with drainage holes provides...
- Slip resistant rubber safety tips ensure safety while in...
- Adjustable seat height from 12.5 to 18.5 inch accommodates...
The next product we have for you is the Ez2care Shower Bench. This chair can be placed directly into a shower or bath and has been designed to assist those with limited mobility or medical needs. The shower seat can be adjusted to suit the height of the user.
The chair’s heavy-duty aluminum legs are complete with slip-resistant rubber feet. Once this chair is in position, it’s not going anywhere. The shower bench also has built-in drainage holes that ensure water doesn’t collect on the seat itself.
The Ez2care bench is a simple but extremely effective bath stool that does everything it’s designed to do and more. It also has an extremely attractive price tag, and we didn’t hesitate to give it our Best Budget Option award.
- Ideal for carers – Lightweight, strong and adjustable.
- Carefully designed – Quality materials and non-slip feet ensure that the user is kept safe and secure.
- Great price – You’ll struggle to find a product as good as this at the same price.
- Not suitable for everyone – If you’re after a shower chair with an aesthetic design and storage room, this isn’t the product for you.
6) Best for Carers - OMECAL Medical Shower Bench
- SGS APPROVED：It has passed the SGS test.Shower chair...
- LOAD UP 450LBS CAPACITY - Chair Leg Add Thickness to 1.33mm...
- UPGRADE FRAMEWORK: Frame has width/depth cross braces...
The OMECAL Shower Bench is a medical-grade chair approved by SGS. Like the Ez2care product above, this chair can be placed directly in the shower or bath. Because of its strength and security, we believe this is the best bench out there for carers.
Every care has been taken to ensure that the OMECAL Medical Bench is as effective a tool as it can be. Features such as extra-thick aluminum legs and a cross brace ensure that the chair is as strong as possible, whilst suction cup feet keep it solidly in place.
The legs are adjustable and can be individually changed to match uneven surfaces. Drainage holes and a concave seat design bring plenty of comfort to the chair too. If you’re in the market for a reliable shower support seat, then this OMECAL product should definitely be of interest.
- Ideal for carers – Every part of the bench has been designed to be as effective and easy to use as possible.
- Fully waterproof – Can be placed inside a bath or shower without risk of rusting.
- Highly adjustable – Legs can be individually adjusted to match the surface.
- Leg adjustments can take a while – Although the adjustability is great, getting the legs lined up correctly can be time-consuming.
7) Best for Transfers - DMI Shower Tub Transfer Bench Chair
- BATH CHAIR Dimensions: 39 Inches L x 19.25 Inches W x 37...
- TUB AND SLIDING SHOWER BENCH AND SHOWER CHAIR makes...
- SHOWER BENCH features a no tool design, easy assembly and...
Transferring someone from a wheelchair to the shower can be a difficult process. The DMI Shower Transfer Bench aims to reduce this difficulty and is an easy-to-use, accessible product. It features a sliding seat that can transfer a person from their wheelchair directly into the shower.
To use the DMI Bench, you simply position the device half in and half out of the tub. This gives the user a space to get into the chair and dry off after their shower.
The bench has a variety of built-in safety features to keep the user secure. These include a seatbelt, molded seat, and anti-slip feet. The overall quality of the chair is excellent and feels extremely solid as you use it.
- Easy to use – This shower bench offers a solution to wheelchair users who are struggling to get in and out of the shower.
- High-build quality – You’ll struggle to find a shower chair built to the same standard.
- Trusted by professionals – Carers across the world use sliding chair designs.
- Large – The device is quite large and can be difficult to store.
8) Best for Extra Storage - Sorbus Bamboo Shower Bench Stool with Shelf
- 2-TIER BAMBOO BENCH STOOL — Perfect for a spa-like...
- MULTI-PURPOSE & STYLISH — Keeps shower necessities close...
- SUPPORTS FULL-SIZED ADULTS — Large contoured seat is...
If extra bathroom storage is motivating you to buy a shower bench, then this product from Sorbus might tick all your boxes. With a handy shelf built-in underneath the seat, there’s ample room for bathroom products and cosmetics.
Unlike many of the other options on this list, the Sorbus Shower Bench is made from bamboo. Bamboo shower seats are nearly always great products, thanks to the durability and flexibility of the wood.
The bench has a stylish design that would match well with both modern and traditional bathrooms. The curved legs, in particular, give the chair a classy and attractive look.
- Compact – This chair won’t be taking up too much space in your bathroom.
- Good storage space – Despite compact sizing, there’s still plenty of under-seat storage.
- Drainage holes – Useful drainage holes ensure puddles don’t collect.
- Smaller seat – Compact nature means the seat isn’t as substantial as other products.
9) Best Luxury Option - Aqua Teak Maluku Teak Shower Bench
- Sustainably Harvested 100% Solid Teak Wood Shower Bench
- All Stainless Steel Non-Corroding Hardware & Adjustable...
- Superior Design -- AquaTeak Has Been Featured in...
Our final recommendation is the Aqua Teak Maluku Shower Bench. Thanks to its large size, sleek looks, and attractive finish, we awarded this seat with our Best Luxury badge. If you need a shower bench to really relax on, then this is the product for you.
The bench features a long, concave seat that is more than spacious enough for two people. Underneath this seat, you get a huge storage space that you can use to help declutter your bathroom.
The Maluku is a teak shower bench, so you can assume it’s going to be a high-quality product. This particular teak wood looks and feels luxurious, and all the parts have clearly been engineered to fit together properly.
- Large seat – Probably the best shower chair around for couples and families.
- Very high quality – Top-of-the-range teak wood parts.
- Easy to style – The classic design fits in with any bathroom décor.
- Too big for some – Large size could be too bulky for some bathrooms.
Shower Bench Buying Guide
When you’re trying to buy a shower bench, it can be tough to know what you should be looking for. The truth is that there are a number of factors to take into account to find a great bench. To help you out, we’ve prepared this useful buying guide.
One of the first things to consider when choosing a shower chair is the size you require. There’s no point searching for a massive shower bench if you only have a small amount of space in your bathroom.
Thankfully, shower chairs are available in every size you could imagine. It doesn’t matter if you have a huge family bathroom or a small shower area; you can be sure that there’s a perfectly sized shower chair available for you.
Make sure to carefully measure the space in your bathroom where you want the bench to be. You can use these measurements to quickly narrow down your options.
When people think about the size of a shower bench, they usually only consider the length and width. However, the height is just as important and can have a big impact on how easy a bench is to use.
It’s essential to look for a shower chair that you are going to be able to use effectively. Go too short, and you’ll forever be bending down uncomfortably to sit down on your bench. A shower bench should be a place to relax, and you’ll want to be as comfortable as possible whilst using it.
If you live with other people, then it’s also worth thinking about the height that would be right for them. It’s no good buying a shower chair for the family if your kids aren’t tall enough to use it.
Depending on how you’re going to use your shower bench, you might also need to consider weight capacity. Many people choose to buy a bench for extra bathroom storage – if you’re keeping heavy things, you should make sure any potential bench would be able to handle them.
One of the best things about a shower bench is that it can have a load of storage space built in. Many benches come with tiers or shelves that can be used to house shampoo bottles, cosmetics, or any other bathroom items.
If you struggle to find a place for things in your bathroom, a shower chair with shelves is definitely something to consider. Not only do you get a comfortable place to sit, but you also reduce your bathroom clutter in the process! What’s not to love?
We already know that shower chairs come in all different shapes and sizes. But they are also available in a variety of materials too. Some are made of metals and plastics, whereas others use traditional teak wood.
Each material has its own advantages. For example, metal is waterproof and strong but can be very cold to the touch. Wood holds in more heat but might not be quite as durable. Wood is the most popular material for shower chairs and is usually what we would recommend. This doesn’t mean that there aren’t other excellent materials out there, though.
If you’re going to be sitting on your bathroom bench, then you need it to be comfortable. Be sure to look out for chairs that have clearly had some thought put into their comfort. This could include features such as a backrest or shaped seat.
This won’t apply to everyone, but some people may be looking for a shower bench that they can move around different bathrooms. If this is you, then you should definitely be searching for a chair that is portable and easy to move.
This means it should be lightweight and of a sensible size. There are some excellent shower bench products out there that have a folding design. This type of bench is also usually made out of aluminum, which is incredibly lightweight.
Of course, when you’re shopping for any product, the price is always going to be one of your biggest concerns. Shower chairs are available at a variety of price points, and there are some fantastic bargain options around.
Setting a sensible budget can narrow down your options and make the buying process much easier. There’s no need to waste time looking at products outside your price range when there are plenty of great chairs that you can afford.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re looking for somewhere to sit down in your bathroom to shave, dry off, or just relax, then a teak shower bench could be exactly what you need. Teak is a tropical hardwood that is one of the best materials for shower chairs – it’s strong, water-resistant, and won’t expand in a steamy bathroom.
A shower bench can also be used as convenient bathroom storage. Many bathroom benches come with shelves installed under the seat. This is a great place to store shower products and cosmetics. In general, a teak shower bench will be a great addition to any bathroom.
The only possible drawback to owning a shower bench is the fact that it will take up some space in your bathroom. For most people, this will not be a concern, and they’ll already have worked out where their chair is going to go.
It’s also worth remembering that a shower bench provides its own storage space. If you have to clear stuff away in the bathroom to make room for the chair, then you can put some of that stuff straight into the storage area.
Since teak is such a hard and durable material, it rarely requires any maintenance. If your shower bench does start to look like it needs a clean, you can follow a few simple steps. You’ll need a teak cleaner product to get started, which can be found at most supermarkets and hardware stores.
To clean a teak bench, simply apply the teak cleaner and let it settle for a few minutes. Take a soft bristle scrubber and get to work on the wood, making sure not to miss any spots. After you’re satisfied, rinse the bench down with cold water. The final step is to let it dry out. You can also apply some teak oil if you want to add a nice shine to the shower chair.
In general, shower chairs are extremely durable products. The lifespan of a particular bench will depend on the material it is made out of and its overall build quality. That said, you can safely expect a shower bench to last for years, if not decades, of use.
Traditional teak shower benches are particularly long-lasting, and any good quality teak bench should last for 15 years at the minimum. To ensure your teak product lasts for as long as possible, you should clean it regularly and apply teak oil when you can.
Throughout this article, we’ve used “shower chair” and “shower bench” interchangeably. However, a shower chair usually describes a plastic product that can be placed inside the shower itself. Shower chairs are designed to assist those with disabilities or people who struggle to stand in the shower.
Since plastic shower seats serve a completely different role to benches, you can’t really compare them side by side. If you’re looking for a comfortable seat that you can sit on whilst in the bathroom, then a shower bench is probably what you want.